Thursday, May 10, 2012

Blind Faith


'In everybody’s life there’s a point of no return. And in a very few cases, a point where you can’t go forward anymore. And when we reach that point, all we can do is quietly accept the fact. That’s how we survive.'
~ Haruki Murakami, Kafka on the Shore

We all go through bad times. For many people it may be less painful whereas for others it is life changing. Whatever be the case, if you are told that doing so and so thing will help you bring positive energy into your life or help you get what you want, would you do it? It may not sound logical at all or scientific in any sense. Would you still do it?

I remember I was in school. My uncle who was in his late 30's was diagnosed with brain tumor. My Aunt obviously sought all kinds of medication and best doctors help. My uncle's health deteriorated within few months. I remember an incident where my aunt came home late one day. She did not tell where she was going when she left either. Later she told that one of her colleagues at work recommended a tantric/mantric who did some kind of homa! or whatever she could not explain.
Coming from a well educated family and my Aunt herself being sophisticated and modern (like they say) was trapped in this kind of drama! Not knowing who these tantrics are or what they do, she risked herself going to some far off forbidden place and was ready to try anything to get my Uncle's health back.

Obviously people ridiculed her. But now when I think of that incident, I can understand the hopelessness my Aunt would have felt. You try to keep faith in God, supernatural powers and just hope that magic happens. Your mind is already stressed out that you will try anything and everything. You are so desperate.

There have been many other such incidents that make me wonder, how far out would you go on blind faith? Even if you usually don't believe in such things, would you still chase them?

I personally would have done the same thing my Aunt did. People may call it blind faith, but for people who go through it, it is hope.

No comments: