Monday, March 24, 2008

Lost Keys!

Today a funny thing happened.

Navin uses our car to go to office daily. So anything and everything related to the car is directed to Navin. By this I mean whats the car mileage, where are the car papers, insurance registration, expiry, taking to mechanic, or for that matter even where the car is parked or where the car keys are kept!

I am only an infrequent guest who get a chance to sit in the car if we decide to go out over the weekend. And as far as me able to drive the car goes, forget it!

But over a couple of weeks things have been changing slowly. Against all odds, I manage to get hold of the car keys (gets very tricky at times, baht mehenat karni padhti hain) and after lot of persuation I am given the pleasure to drive!!! Well persuation on both sides. One - making Navin comfortable and assured that I CAN drive and other times it is making myself ready and excited to drive.

Last evening Tushar and Navin had to go for a swimming class and luckily (for me) they decided to travel in one car. And even more luckier was that they decided to take Tushar's car. Hee hee. Now that left me home alone ofcourse and more importantly with our beloved car.

It was the first time as far as I can remember, I drove alone by myself. So, here I was, happy and excited to exploit my freedom to take on the roads! And most importantly not have someone at my side who would usually have his heart in his mouth every time I stepped on the gas and who was ready to have an heart attack any moment.

When I came to office this morning, I get a call from a very panicked Navin. 'Where are the car keys!?' huh? 'I dunno. you drive the car, you should know.', I shout back. The funny thing was I had got the car keys with me to office. Boy, how I enjoyed the crack in Navin's voice. He was getting late for work (thats a every day story) and had been warned a couple of times by his manager. Well, don't think it was a wicked prank I had planned. It just so happened that the car keys remained in my purse after my infamous road trip (well, I would prefer to call it a road trip, so what)! And isn't it the driver's responsibility to make sure the keys are available when needed? But while I was talking to Navin on the phone, I knew the other duplicate car keys were at home and he could use them instead.

But thats how human minds work. You don't find the usual things (which you feel you own) in the usual place and you feel nervous. You want to blame someone before even looking for other options. In this situation, Navin was calling to blame me for not returning the keys to him, whereas I was blaming him for not remembering to take the keys back from me!

And why am I writing this as a blog post??? Like you know, the lazy me started writing this post the day the incidence happened and seemed so interesting. Now its almost a week, and I picked it up in between to finish off what I started with. And now it doesn't seem so interesting.

Anyways. Atleast keeps my blog spot space occupied :-)

1 comment:

Abi said...

:-)
exploiting your freedom :-P